JOINT COMMUNIQUÉ OF THE BILATERAL PERMANENT WORKING COMMISSION BETWEEN THE HOLY SEE AND THE STATE OF ISRAEL
Plenary Meeting held on 15 June 2010
at the Vatican Apostolic Palace
The meeting of the Plenary Commission took place in an atmosphere of mutual understanding. The Delegation of the Holy See was headed by Monsignor Ettore Balestrero, Under-Secretary for Relations with States; and the Delegation of the State of Israel was headed by Mr Daniel Ayalon, M.K, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs.
The Plenary welcomed the progress accomplished by the "Working Level" Commission since the previous Plenary, and has agreed on the next steps towards conclusion of the Agreement.
The Plenary will hold its next meeting on 6 December 2010 at the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The next "Working Level" meeting will take place on 27-28 July 2010.
The Delegation of the Holy See (H.S.):
- Monsignor Ettore Balestrero, Under-Secretary for Relations with States at the Secretariat of State; Chairman.
- H.E. Archbishop Antonio Franco, Apostolic Nuncio in Israel, Chairman of the Delegation at the "Working Level";
- H.E. Bishop Giacinto-Boulos Marcuzzo, Latin Patriarcal Vicar;
- Mgr. Maurizio Malvestiti, Under-Secretary of the Congregation for the Eastern Churches;
- Mgr. Alberto Ortega, Secretariat of State;
- Archmandrite Maher Abboud;
- Father David-Maria A. Jaeger, OFM, Legal Adviser;
- Father Jacek Dobromir Jasztal, OFM;
- Father Pietro Felet, SCJ;
- Mr Henry Amoroso, Second Legal Adviser;
- Mr Samir Abu-Nassar , CPA;
- Father Giovanni Caputa, SDB, Secretary.
The Delegation of the State of Israel (S.I.)
- Mr Daniel Ayalon, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs; Chairman;
- Mr. Shmuel Ben-Shmuel, Head of World Jewish and Interreligious Affairs Bureau, MFA;
- Mr Mordechay Lewy, Ambassador of Israel to the Holy See;
- Mr Ronen Gil-Or, Director Department of General Law, MFA;
- Mr. Bahij Mansour, Director Department of Religious Affairs, MFA;
- Mr Moshe Golan, Senior Deputy State’s Attorney, Responsible of Civil Law Matters, Ministry of Justice;
- Mr Oded Brook, Head of the International Affairs Division , Ministry of Finance;
- Mr Itai Alter, Ministry of Justice;
- Mr David Segal, Diplomatic Advisor, Deputy’s Foeign Minister Bureau;
- Mr Ashley Perry, International Media Adviser to the Deputy Foreign Minister;
- Ms Klarina Shpitz , Chief of Staff, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs.
[00898-02.01] [Original text: English]