Press Conference of 19 June 2023
On Monday 19 June 2023, at 11.00, in the Holy See Press Office, Saint Pius X Hall, Via dell’Ospedale 1, a press conference will be held entitled “Sublimitas et miseria hominis – Greatness and misery of man”, on the occasion of the four-hundredth anniversary of the birth of the philosopher, mathematician and scientist Blaise Pascal, who was born on 19 June 1623 in Clermond-Ferrand and died in Paris on 19 August 1662.
The speakers will be:
- His Eminence Cardinal José Tolentino de Mendonça, prefect of the Dicastery for Culture and Education;
- Dr. François-Xavier Adam, director of the Institut Français – Centre Saint Louis.
Some of Blaise Pascal’s works, belonging to the collection of the Apostolic Library, will be exhibited for the occasion, on 19 June, from 9.00 to 10.00. It will be possible to obtain images subject to accreditation via the Holy See Press Office online accreditation system, at press.vatican.va/accreditamenti.va.
The press conference will be livestreamed in the original language on the Vatican News YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/c/VaticanNews.
Press Conference of 20 June 2023
On Tuesday 20 June 2023, at 14.30, in the Holy See Press Office, Saint Pius X Hall, Via dell’Ospedale 1, a press conference will be held to present the Instrumentum Laboris and Methodology of the first session of the 16th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops on the theme: “For a synodal Church: communion, participation, mission” (4 to 29 October 2023).
The speakers will be:
- His Eminence Cardinal Mario Grech, secretary general of the Synod;
- His Eminence Cardinal Jean-Claude Hollerich, S.J., archbishop of Luxembourg, general rapporteur of the 16th Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops (by remote link);
- Fr. Giacomo Costa, S.J., consultor of the General Secretariat of the Synod of Bishops.
During the meeting, brief testimonies on the preparation of members for the October Assembly and the possible use of the Instrumentum Laboris by local groups will be presented by
- Helena Jeppesen-Spuhler, Lenten Fund (Switzerland) member of the Swiss delegation to the Continental Assembly in Prague;
- Fr. Rafael Simbine Junior, secretary general of SECAM (by remote link)
- Sr. Nadia Coppa, A.S.C., president of the UISG.
The press conference will be livestreamed in the original language on the Vatican News YouTube channel, at https://www.youtube.com/c/VaticanNews.