The Holy Father has:
- erected the ecclesiastical province of Chittagong (area 27,647, population 19,188,306, Catholics 48,917, priests 18, religious 71), Bangladesh, elevating the episcopal see of the same name to the rank of Metropolitan Church, and assigning as suffragans the dioceses of Khulna and Barisal. He has appointed Bishop Moses Costa, C.S.C., of the diocese of Chittagong, as the first metropolitan archbishop of Chittagong.
- appointed Bishop Gilbert A. Garcera of Daet, Philippines, as metropolitan archbishop of Lipa (area 3,166, population 2,932,704, Catholics 2,815,235, priests 238, religious 435), Philippines. He succeeds Archbishop Ramon C. Argüelles, whose resignation from the pastoral care of the same metropolitan archdiocese was accepted by the Holy Father.
- accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of Alexandria, United States of America, presented by Bishop Ronald P. Herzog. He is succeeded by Bishop David P. Talley, coadjutor of the same diocese.
- appointed Bishop Eusebio Ramos Morales of Fajardo-Humacao, Puerto Rico, as bishop of Caguas (area 1,274, population 648,500, Catholics 507,000, priests 70, permanent deacons 105, religious 126), Puerto Rico.
- accepted the resignation from the pastoral care of the apostolic vicariate of Vientiane, Laos, presented by Bishop Jean Khamsé Vithavong, O.M.I., and appointed as apostolic administrator sede vacante et ad nutum Sanctae Sedis Bishop Louis-Maria Ling Mangkhanekhoun, apostolic vicar of Paksé, Laos.